Wednesday 4 December 2013

SHARING SECRETS

"A fool and his money is soon parted", my beloved late father often quoted. But it's not until later in life that it makes sense, and after having made a few silly purchases that one realises that value has to meet price. I'm acutely aware of the expression when I stumble onto things in my closet that still has labels on long after it's purchase.......I still get caught in the trap of sales talk when it comes to promotions  like "Black Friday" and "Cyber Monday", both being catchwords leading us to stray from our own limits or budgets and causing us to buy things on the spur of the  moment.  I now approach it with much more caution, always considering the value that I could extract from a sale item in terms of the amount of outfits that could be styled with it.  So I imposed a little rule, whenever I buy something on sale, it has to be something that I really like and that allows me to style it in a multitude of outfits. This little jacket fell smack into the category of my self imposed rules, as a result of which I immediately snapped it up on sale, knowing that I would get considerable value out of it, allowing me to style it in numerous different ways. How else do we restrain ourselves from buying things that don't really fit our body shapes, or that we don't particularly fancy after it's found itself into your closet? Let's hear from you girls, come on, share a little secret........

 Jacket- Daniel Hechter
Pants - H & M
Shoes - Zara
Neon Peplum - Woolworths
Handbag - Thai Craft

9 comments:

  1. I do that sometimes as well, I have bought a dress that was in a size too big & said I would get it altered and I never did, so it hangs in the closet all alone, but I am trying now to stop doing that and only buy things I love and fit me just right. I've had to sell a lot of things to make room in my closet now. I like the jacket and the design on it :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely look, I like the fluor touch is beautiful. The combination of black and yellow acid is great, fresh, atractive and elegant. I love the shape and pattern of the jacket, and especially your shoes are cute. The hairstyle, with the knotted scarf is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great little summer jacket! Those are always so hard to find. Yours is so versatile, and I'm sure you'll be able to work it into all kinds of outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to avoid the sales like the plague, although looking at your lovely jacket, perhaps I should make more of an effort to look out for some pieces that I could treasure. You look fab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do buy things on sale. What I do is leave the tag on for at least a week and see if I still have to have it then. If not, it goes back. Although I still have too much clothing. Well I love your shoes with this outfit!

    blue hue wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a very nice style. The combination black and yellow is a good idea and the shoes fits your outfit perfect. Very nice
    http://glamupyourlifestyle.blogspot.de/?m=0

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like buying on sales but only things that I know I will wear a lot and that they fit me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great rule, styling and jacket! :) T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the shoes Nicolene - they're just stunning. I read a 'rule' some time back for sale shopping that suggested that if you would not purchase the item at its full price, then you should not purchase it on sale ... I think it makes sense and I've been applying it when shopping and I'm purchasing much less on sale.

    Hope you're a stunning day - Jo'burg is grey and wet and my house has gone nuts with all the three dogs being groomed by the mobile groomer and you can imagine, the rain, the water, the wet dogs ... I need coffee and a Chelsea bun.

    Enjoy
    Wendy
    Simply Sassy Style

    ReplyDelete