Monday 22 September 2014

GREY MATTERS

To live mindfully is an essential part of gaining control over most things destructive.Living mindfully aids in attaining peace, allowing you to become content with what you have as opposed to what you want.  It helps us to restrain ourselves from over spending, and indulging in toxic food stuff.   Being mindful of the importance of this, I decided to overhaul my wardrobe and revive things that are timeless, instead of going on a shopping spree buying high fashion that is neither conducive to my saving strategy nor healthy in a world of consumerism. Having visited a newly opened mega store of a popular international brand of fast fashion clothes over the weekend, I once again came to the realization just how easy it is to target and convince the consumer to buy into the concept of fashion. I resisted the urge, and reminded myself of the traps of trends. The moral of the story is that when you succumb to quick trends of which the quality passes just as quickly as the trend, you have  fallen prey to a phenomenon intended to rob you of well earned money for the sake of looking fashionable. I was horrified when I turned to the labels in this store, and discovered that it had travelled halfway around the world, with a very large carbon footprint. By  the time you have read this, the next delivery would have been made to the store. They
take pride in the idea of trends being stocked weekly, and new lines being introduced regularly. Unaware of the carbon footprint their so called fast fashion creates. Every now and then I indulge in the luxury of well travelled clothes and accessories, but I take comfort in the fact that it does not represent high fashion, and I need not discard it after a season perhaps because it's been washed to threads, or falling apart due to use. I am not saying that we should only buy high end garments and apparel, but be mindful of the life cycle of what you buy. Hence my outfit's age, average years of all the items worn in this outfit, 5 years.

Jacket - Swakara
Pants - Belle Epoque
Mary Janes  - Asos
Handbag - River Island
Turtle Neck - Angora 
Gloves - Prague Street Market
 

13 comments:

  1. Very fashion, the silver coat is so nice.
    http://www.bydress.com/holiday-dresses-c-8_73.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look wonderful, adore the trousers, so chic xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right...fabolous style...Chapeau!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Nicolene, with a lot to consider. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, you look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed fabulous from head to toe Nic - I adore you for using those fierce colors!!!!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous look! Love the color mix!
    xo, Jane
    http://www.fitfabfunmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your lovely comment, I love your blog too. You look so pretty dear and have a great sense of fashion. Loved your jacket! Keep in touch....Kisses <3


    http://rakhshanda-chamberofbeauty.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very very chic!!…indeed grey matters a lot :)

    <3 <3 from Vienna,
    Mahshid مهشید


    http://www.thankstofashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great outfit ! You look absolutely stunning :) x

    http://www.fashionadventuresatanyage.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. PERFECT! I have taken a quality not quantity stand lately as well. If you buy quality classic pieces you will be able to wear them forever. Just like this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent post, Nicolene. I am guilty of so much fast fashion, but I try hard to make sure it's well treated and can go on to one more owner before it outlives it usefulness. For me, in Big Box dominated rural southern US, it's a matter of degree. I buy better when I can, and places like TJ Maxx are a big help there. Awareness is so important, and I'm glad to hear the reminder.
    I'm surprised by how beautiful cool gray is with ochre and metallic olive! Wonderful pieces, and lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This color combination just blows my mind! What an eye you have!

    Jenna from Visions of Vogue

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this colour combination, Nicolene! Although I love black, grey is so much softer and it looks so elegant.
    I couldn't agree more and usually mix older clothes that I have in my wardrobe for many years with a new or trendy piece.

    Annette | Lady of Style

    ReplyDelete