Friday 12 July 2013

FASHIONABLY UPHOLSTERED

Occasionally, we should change direction, do something out of the ordinary,  and wear something completely different from our signature style, allowing ourselves to experience the powerful effect of challenging convention. Whenever I wear an item made of upholstery material, I get the distinct feeling that I am being stared at, not because the textile is any different, but because the print is normally very loud and rather bold. Having received a number of compliments on my first project to design and have a blazer made from a piece of cloth more suitable to cover a lounge couch, I decided to experiment with this type of textile. Upholstery material that is not to thick, drapes beautifully and is ideally suited to a structured jacket or coat, and so this jacket was conceived, made from curtaining material. When you become open to change, you invent a new style. Had it not been for experiment and challenging convention,  the name Coco Chanel would probably have been unknown to us.......
 
 



Turtleneck Top - Primark
Pants - H & M
Shoes - Next
Blazer - Belle Epoque

 
 

9 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful blazer, Nicolene, so elegant and it reminds me a bit of a historic costume.
    Very nice combination with your beige trousers. I looked at that style at H&M yesterday and will probably get a new pair as they are so versatile and I can wear them all year round.

    Although I love your black outfits, it is nice to see you in light colours today!

    Have a nice weekend,
    Annette | Lady of Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blazer--very elegant. I haven't had any clothes recently made of the upholstery like material, but I am seeing it for the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh fabulous, that blazer is just fabulous!
    xo
    styleonthestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this blazer on you and it doesn't look like it would gather stares at all -- just admiring glances! Although I do know what you mean since I am exactly the same. Give me black and I'm comfortable, but I'm definitely, definitely trying to break out of my black shell. My daughter is keeping me in line and seeing myself in photos is a huge help. Color and patterns definitely add a nice mix to the standby of trusty black! Love this look and the pattern!
    xo ~kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Monday Nicolene

    Love the blazer and the story with it. Must admit that I'm quite taken with the pattern on the material.

    Wishing you a wonderful week
    Wendy
    Body oil Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, you did such an amazingly artistic piece, Nicolene. It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So classy!!!! I love this blazer!!!!
    Happy new week Nicolene!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! And so agree with you. We have to take risks with fashion sometimes.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete